Happy Valentine's Day Dog Lovers!
We’ve got a treat for you and your pups today - Homemade Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats! Why should humans be the only ones to celebrate this weekend?
We know you love to surprise your pups with goodies here and there, but the ingredients in a lot of big box dog treats aren’t really the best for their bellies. Making your own allows you to control the quality of the ingredients and provide your sweet pup with the best of the best (not to mention you can make them adorable!)
How did we land on Pumpkin Apple? We wanted a simple recipe that would only include foods that are safe for your furry friends. Pumpkin, Apple, Eggs and Oats are all on safe food lists, but feel free to check with your veterinarian before whipping up a batch. Let’s get started!
- 4 - 4 ½ cups oatmeal, plus additional
- ½ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Use a food processor or a blender to grind your oats into a flour like consistency. Set half of a cup aside.
- In your mixing bowl combine the remaining oat flour, applesauce, pumpkin and egg until well combined. It will be firm and slightly sticky.
- Dust a clean surface with the oat flour that you set aside. Dump the pumpkin apple mixture onto the surface and roll out to about ¼ to a ½ inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter (we chose hearts!) to cut the dough into shapes and set on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400° for about 12 minutes or until firm and very lightly browned.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
We know your pup will love these treats just like ours did! If you decide to try them make sure to tag us on Instagram @bbkustomkennels.